Providing Hope and Healing: LGBTQ+ Youth and Initiating Change within Systems
Join us on Thursday, April 18 to help improve services for LGBTQ+ youth!
Pride Action Tank is collaborating with the Illinois LGBTQ Roundtable and Training Resource and Information Network (TRAIN) to host Providing Hope and Healing: LGBTQ+ Youth and Initiating Change within Systems.
This conference is for service providers, educators, researchers, funders, policy makers and others whose work or interests include improving outcomes for LGBTQ+ young adults.
It’s structured and informed by the Youth Advocate Solutions Summit for LGBTQ+ youth(18-24 years old) who have experienced the child welfare and/or juvenile justice systems held last November.
Speakers include advocates, policy makers, service providers and youth who will be panelists during sessions that cover topics such as the criminal justice system, child welfare, education and supports such as housing and workforce development.
Each session will include time for solutions-focused discussion that will aid post-symposium advocacy efforts.
Registration Fee: $85
Youth Advocate Solutions: Summit on LGBTQ+ Systems-involved Youth
This is day one of a two day summit. Service providers, researchers and others, save the date for day two of the summit, April 18, 2019 (6 CEUs will be offered).
- Identify and offer alternatives to policies and practices that lead to cycles of systems-involvement and, often, housing instability for LGBTQ+ youth.
- Highlight policies and procedures that keep LGBTQ+ youth safe.
- Identify key components for creating cultural change within systems so that policies can have their full and intended impact.
- Identify opportunities to build the capacity of families and communities to support systems-involved LGBTQ+ youth.
- Provide learning opportunities on factors that lead to the overrepresentation of LGBTQ+ in systems and ways of addressing them for organization, agency and institution staff.
- Supporting youth who are aging out of systems and community programs
- Coordinating support for youth across systems
- Creating safe school environments
- Building the capacity of families to support youth