In Illinois, single occupancy restrooms in all public buildings and businesses must be designated as gender neutral or all gender. This law took effect on January 1, 2020.
Public restrooms can be a source of stress and anxiety for transgender and gender nonconforming people. CRAP is a group of concerned Chicagoans working with Pride Action Tank for new solutions to provide accessible bathrooms for all. Watch our video playlist emphasizing the importance of CRAP for Chicago Public Schools and small businesses.
Check out CRAP’s Peeing in Peace toolkit here
Pride Action Tank’s executive director, Kim L. Hunt, points out parallels between Jim Crow laws and anti-trans bills in an appeal to update Chicago’s Human Ordinance. The opinion piece was published in the Chicago Sun-Times and Windy City Times online.
Victory! Chicago City Council overturns discriminatory bathroom provision
Recently the Chicago City Council approved an amendment to remove a provision in the Chicago Human Rights Ordinance (HRO) that requires patrons to show a government-issued ID upon request to access public accommodations that are private in nature, including bathrooms.
A survey of Chicago residents was conducted with approximately 1000 people responding.
We asked, “Which signage best represents gender neutral single stall restrooms?”
Respondents favored Choice A with 49.2% and Choice C coming in second at 39.1%.
CRAP survey news stories:
- Group Calls For More Gender-Neutral Bathrooms In Chicago – Chicagoist
- Chicago Restroom Access Project seeks input on designs – Windy City Times
- Gender neutral bathrooms signs of progress – Chicago Tribune
- Chicago asks public to choose best restroom signs – San Diego Gay and Lesbian News
- Chicago Seeks Input for New Restroom Signs – boom.lgbt
- Local activists launch push for gender-neutral bathrooms in Chicago – Chicago Tribune
- CRAP and the Gender Neutral Bathroom – WBEZ
- Group Invites Community Input on Restroom Signs for Trans* and Gender Nonconforming People – Lake View Patch
- Restroom rumpus – The Economist
- Local activists launch push for gender-neutral bathrooms in Chicago – Redeye
Stories about bathroom bills from around the country:
- Trans-related bills advance to state Illinois House committee – Windy City Times
- Section 890.810 Minimum Number of Plumbing Fixtures – ilga.gov
- Mayor de Blasio Mandates City Facilities Provide Bathroom Access to People Consistent with Gender Identity – nyc.gov
- STUDY: Charlotte Media Peddle “Bathroom Predator” Myth In Coverage Of Nondiscrimination Ordinance – Media Matters
- I Sued My Employer for Not Letting Me Use the Women’s Restroom, and I Won – Cosmopolitan
- Tennessee House Subcommittee Passes “Gender Inspection” Bill – Freedom for all Americans
- Tennessee Governor Concerned About Anti-Transgender Student Restroom Bill – BuzzFeed News
- GLAAD releases media guide for accurate reporting on transgender-inclusive nondiscrimination laws & ordinances – GLADD
- ANTI-TRANSGENDER LEGISLATION SPREADS NATIONWIDE, BILLS TARGETING TRANSGENDER CHILDREN SURGE – Human Rights Campaign
- South Dakota Legislature Passes Discriminatory Bill Targeting Transgender Students; Lambda Legal Urges Governor to Veto – Lambda Legal
- Illinois Bill Status of HB4474 – Illinois General Assembly
- Transgender student suspended for using bathroom at SC high school – WYFF4
- Equality California Sponsors New Legislation to Expand Equal Restroom Access in California – Equality California
- Unsurprisingly, Trans Students Have Caused Zero Incidents in Public Bathrooms – Seventeen
- State anti-transgender bathroom bills threaten transgender people’s health and participation in public life: Policy Brief – Fenway Health